FC Goa head coach Manolo Marquez felt that his team should have secured all three points after playing out a 1-1 draw against Mumbai City FC in the Indian Super League (ISL) at the Mumbai Football Arena in Mumbai on Wednesday.

For the Islanders, Vikram Partap Singh opened the scoresheet just a few seconds after the kickoff of the second half, using his presence inside the box to get the better of Bipin Singh’s right-footed in-swinging cross. The visitors bounced back with Mohammad Yasir’s dazzling left-footed strike just outside the box to level the scoreline in the 61st minute. However, the Gaurs had some close chances with Rowllin Borges, Boris Singh, and Borja Herrera, but the crossbar denied their efforts.

FC Goa went into the field after suffering three successive defeats against Mohun Bagan SG, NorthEast United FC, and Kerala Blasters FC. However, by sealing a point against Petr Kratky’s team, the Gaurs climbed to the fourth spot in the points table with 29 points in 16 games. 

Addressing the media, the Spaniard took a moment to reflect on his team's performance against the Islanders.

“We are not completely satisfied in terms of points but satisfied with how the team played, especially in the second half,” Marquez said in the post-match press conference.

The 55-year-old head coach acknowledged that his side could have left the pitch with another victory based on their performance throughout the entire game. From creating chances through the wings to launching quick counter-attacks in the opponent's half, the Gaurs covered every aspect. However, their attempts were either saved by Phurba Lachenpa or denied by the crossbar.

In this context, he stated, “When Mumbai City FC scored the goal, their players were free. After facing three consecutive defeats, we needed to play like FC Goa, like we played in the first half of the season. I feel we deserved to win (this game) because we hit the post thrice.”

“Even in the first half, Mumbai City FC had more ball possession, yet they didn’t create a lot of chances despite having lots of players who could have scored goals,” he added.

After sustaining an injury in their previous away game against Kerala Blasters FC, Borja Herrera entered the field as a substitute in the 83rd minute. Remarkably, the Spanish midfielder nearly scored the late winner, but his powerful strike was thwarted by the Mumbai City FC goalkeeper.

“In the last match (against Kerala Blasters FC), Borja Herrera suffered an injury and left the pitch. He was not ready to play for 90 minutes (today). He entered in the last few minutes. The doctors and the physios even said he couldn’t play. But we know his shooting quality outside of the box is very good. And he was very close to scoring the (winning) goal,” he shared.

Securing the Player of the Match award against the Islanders with his precise strike and outstanding performance, Mohammad Yasir earned praise from the head coach after the game.

“One very good news for us is the Player of the Match, (Mohammad) Yasir, and we are recovering the best from (Mohammad) Yasir, who played with the national team. It's not just about scoring two goals in the last two games, but he is demonstrating his quality after overcoming difficult times with Hyderabad FC,” he commented.

“For me, maybe he is the best left-footer in the country (right now),” he concluded.