Hume’s brace gives ATK a slender first-leg advantage over Mumbai

Hume’s brace gives ATK a slender first-leg advantage over Mumbai

Atlético de Kolkata beat Mumbai City FC 3-2 in the first leg of the first semi-final of Hero Indian Super League 2016 in front of 12,500 spectators at the Rabindra Sarobar Stadium in Kolkata on Saturday. Lalrindika Ralte gave Kolkata the lead three minutes into the game before falling behind to a Leo Costa strike and a Gerson Vieira header in the 10th and 19th minutes respectively. Two goals in quick succession by Iain Hume re-established ATK’s leading at half-time. Neither team managed to find the back of the net in the second period, however, Diego Forlan received a red card 16 minutes before full-time, meaning Mumbai will have to overturn a 3-2 aggregate deficit on Tuesday without the services of the legendary Uruguayan..

Kolkata took the lead in unusual fashion in the third minute after a Borja Fernandez ball into the box was helped goal-wards by Lalrindika. His header looped over former ATK custodian Amrinder Singh in goal and found the back of the net to make it 1-0 for the hosts. It was the first goal by a domestic player from Kolkata this year and the fastest of the season at two minutes and eight seconds.

Mumbai equalised seven minutes later through Costa, who was quickest to react after a Forlan free-kick fell invitingly for him in the wake of a scramble for the ball between Sunil Chhetri and Henrique Sereno in the box. The Brazilian kept his cool and calmly slotted the ball beyond ATK goalkeeper Dani Mallo to make it all square at 1-1.

Hume’s brace gives ATK a slender first-leg advantage over Mumbai

The visitors took the lead in the 19th minute courtesy of another Forlan free-kick from the right into the danger area. Vieira got in front of his marker inside the six-yard box and powered his header beyond Mallo to give Mumbai a 2-1 lead.

Amrinder was called into action 10 minutes later as a Sameehg Doutie shot from near the box took a deflection off Lucian Goian before forcing the Mumbai goalkeeper into a reflex save between the sticks to keep his side’s lead intact.

ATK levelled things up six minutes before half-time thanks to some brilliant link-up play. Lalrindika’s cross from the left was cushioned by Doutie towards Hume, who finished in clinical fashion to make it 2-2. They got their noses in front for the second time at the end of first half stoppage-time after Sena Ralte conceded a penalty for a block on Helder Postiga in the box. Hume stepped up to the spot and sent Amrinder the wrong way with a confident finish.

Kolkata could have extended their lead eight minutes after the restart when a Prabir Das cross from the right was headed on target by Hume. Amrinder though came to his side’s rescue and put the ball behind for an ATK corner. The Canadian striker had another chance just before the hour mark as Doutie crossed from the right into the near post. Hume managed to get his left foot to the ball but couldn’t keep his effort on target.

Things took a turn for the worse for Mumbai in the 74th minute as they found themselves not just a goal down but also a man down after Forlan picked up a second yellow for a foul on Jewel Raja and was sent for an early shower with 16 minutes still to play.

Kolkata tried to stretch the play and make their man advantage count as Mumbai sat deep, desperate not to concede another goal. Hume could have made it 4-2 in the last minute of injury time but dragged his shot wide of target to the relief of Mumbai.

Match Awards:

Club award: Atlético de Kolkata

Amul Fittest Player of the Match: Sameehg Doutie

DHL Winning Pass of the Match: Sameehg Doutie

Maruti Suzuki Swift Moment of the Match: Gerson Vieira

ISL Emerging Player of the Match: Lalrindika Ralte

Hero of the Match: Iain Hume

Your Comments

Related Stories