NorthEast United FC overcame Mumbai City FC 2-1 in their Hero Super Cup Group D clash at the Payyanad Stadium in Manjeri, Kerala. The result came as a huge boost for the Highlanders, and kept the group alive.

The Highlanders, who came into the match after a loss in the first game, began the game in a way that helped them settle quickly and pile pressure on Mumbai City FC. Forward Wilmar Jordan opened the scoring from the penalty spot after half an hour and made the pressure count.

NorthEast United FC went into the break with a one goal advantage thanks to a fitting display against an elite opposition. The Highlanders began the second half in the same fashion, and they scored their second goal in no time when Wilmar Jordan rolled the ball into the net to claimhis brace and double his team’s advantage, giving them some breathing room and a cushion for the rest of the game.

Mumbai City FC found it hard to get going in the game, and the second goal right at the start of the second half made it more difficult for the Islanders to get back in the game, whose gameplan went right out the window. 

The League Shield Winners tried to make a comeback in the second half, but the opposition had other plans. The Islanders did find the back of the net with Lalengmawia Ralte scoring their only goal in the last five minutes of the game and tried their best to find another goal, but their efforts went in vain.

NorthEast United FC held their nerve in the final minutes of the game to gain all three points and move on level terms with Mumbai City FC in the standings. The Highlanders will face Churchill Brothers FC in their final encounter in a bid to claim the top spot and qualify for the semi-final on Wednesday, April 19.

Mumbai City FC, meanwhile, will have work to do against Hero ISL outfit Chennaiyin FC if they are to make it to the semi-final on Wednesday, April 19.

Chennaiyin and Churchill Brothers share spoils after 0-0 draw.

Chennaiyin FC played out a goalless draw against Churchill Brothers in their second Group D match of the Hero Super Cup 2023 at the Payyanad Stadium in Manjeri, Kerala on Saturday.

Chennaiyin, who came into the match after a win against NorthEast United FC, were dominant from the get go. They made a spirited start and kept piling the pressure on the opposition defenders with their aggressive approach.

Sixty-one per cent possession and several goal-scoring opportunities, which also included seven corners, but couldn’t manage to convert any in the first half.

One such chance came as early as in the sixth minute when the Anirudh Thapa-led side had almost opened the scoring off a corner but the opposition defenders, somehow, managed to clear the ball. Last match’s hero Aakash Sangwan also came into the picture when his close-range header missed the target by a whisker a few minutes before the half time.

After struggling to hold the ball initially, Churchill Brothers regrouped after the break and showcased better resistance in the second half that witnessed stiff competition from both ends.

The Hero I-League side was reduced to 10 men after Richard Costa was handed his second yellow card of the match for bringing down Mohammad Rafique five minutes before the final whistle.

Both the teams tried their best to find a goal in the final quarter but eventually ended up sharing points with a draw.

Chennaiyin, with four points from two games, will now square off against Mumbai City FC in their final group-stage match on Wednesday.