Bedia scores for FC Goa in 2-1 loss against Persepolis FC

Image Credit: IndianFootball@Twitter

Hero Indian Super League (Hero ISL) outfit FC Goa succumbed to a narrow 2-1 loss against Iranian side Persepolis FC in their AFC Champions League encounter at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Fatorda on Tuesday night. Skipper Edu Bedia scored FC Goa’s first goal of the tournament before Persepolis FC struck twice to consolidate their top spot in Group E (West Region).

  • Edu Bedia gave FC Goa the lead in the 13th minute.
  • Mehdi Torabi scored from the spot in the 18th minute before Jalal Hosseini gave Persepolis FC the lead in the 24th minute.
  • Dheeraj Singh saved Hossein Kanaani’s penalty in the 42nd minute.

Persepolis FC piled the pressure on FC Goa in the opening minutes of the game but it was the Gaurs who took the lead against the run of play. Brandon Fernandes’ cross in the 13th minute was headed into the back of the net by Bedia to his teammates’ great delight.

The goal boosted their confidence and shortly after they almost scored their second if not for opposition goalkeeper Hamed Lak denying Brandon from inside the box. FC Goa’s lead did not last for long though. James Donachie was adjudged to have felled Issa Alekasir inside the penalty box and the ensuing spot-kick was calmly converted by Mehdi Torabi in the 18th minute to make it 1-1.

Torabi turned provider in the 24th minute as Persepolis FC took the lead for the first time on the night. After the Red Army players missed a chance to score from a corner, Torabi’s cross into the box was headed into the goal by skipper Jalal Hosseini for his second goal of the tournament.

The Iranian club dominated possession and tried to find spaces in FC Goa’s defensive third relentlessly. In the 38th minute, Vahid Amiri beat the FC Goa defenders and almost made it 3-1 before Dheeraj denied him.

The goalkeeper was called into action once again in the 42nd minute after Ivan Gonzalez conceded FC Goa’s second penalty. But the spot-kick from Hossein Kanaani was stopped by the young Indian goalkeeper. Both teams headed into the break with the scoreline 2-1 in the Iranians’ favour. 

Dheeraj was called into action yet again just seconds after the break, and the 20-year-old did well to deny Torabi a second goal. Minutes later, Alekasir thought he had scored Persepolis FC’s third goal but the tap-in was ruled out for offside.

The Gaurs defended valiantly thereafter and reined in the opposition to great effect. In the 70th minute, Omid Alishah, however, attempted a shot at the near post which was comfortably pushed out by Dheeraj for a corner.

Chances were few and far between at the other end for FC Goa, with substitute Redeem Tlang coming closest to scoring in the 83rd minute. However, the winger shot the ball straight to the goalkeeper. The Iranian outfit eventually secured their third straight win to strengthen their position at the top, while the Gaurs moved down to third with two points from three matches. Earlier in the day, Al Wahda secured a 3-2 victory over Al Rayyan SC to take the second spot.


Your Comments