Stat attack: FC Goa's date with records in Kolkata
The Gaurs made a real statement with the victory in Kolkata but also created some records on the way.
Indian Super League (ISL) side FC Goa proved why they are strong contenders for the ISL League Shield this season with a statement victory against Mohun Bagan SG in Matchweek 11.
The Gaurs took many by surprise as they not only beat the Mariners but registered a convincing victory away from home in Kolkata, putting four past Juan Ferrando’s side.
Noah Sadaoui scored twice in the first half with Victor Rodriguez’s strike being sandwiched in between. Dimitri Petratos cut short his side’s deficit in injury time of the first half but that was the only goal for MBSG as substitute Carlos Martinez added the fourth for FC Goa late on.
While this was the second defeat for Juan Ferrando’s side this season in as many games, the result strengthened FC Goa’s grip at the top of the table. The Gaurs have now acquired 23 points from nine games and are the only team yet to be defeated this season.
As the dust settles on their magnificent victory in Kolkata, here are a few interesting statistics from that game.
● FC Goa created a new ISL record going 545 minutes without conceding. They beat Mumbai City FC’s record of 541 minutes from the 2014 season.
● FC Goa now have 23 points after nine matches, matching Bengaluru FC’s tally from the 2018-19 season.
● This was the first time Mohun Bagan SG conceded two penalty goals in a single game in the ISL; this is the third time that FC Goa have scored two penalty goals in an ISL game, the most number of such instances for any team.
● The 1-4 margin is Mohun Bagan SG’s joint second-biggest loss in ISL history (after their 1-5 defeat to Mumbai City FC in December 2022) and their largest at home; in fact, this is the second time the Mariners have conceded four or more goals in a single game in the league.
● FC Goa accumulated an expected goals (xG) total of 2.88 against Mohun Bagan SG, the highest tally for any team in an ISL game this season.
● Mohun Bagan Super Giant recorded just four touches in the opposition’s box, their lowest such tally in any ISL game ever.
● Brandon Fernandes now has 22 assists in the ISL, the joint-third highest by any player in the league alongside Odisha FC’s Ahmed Jahouh; only Roy Krishna (23) and Hugo Boumous (32) have more.
● FC Goa’s Sadaoui recorded 12 touches in the opposition box against Mohun Bagan SG, the second-highest such tally by any player in a single game in this ISL season, only behind his own record of 15 such touches (against Odisha FC in October 2023).