ATK Mohun Bagan extended their unbeaten run to eleven matches as they beat FC Goa 2-0 in the Hero Indian Super League (ISL) match at the Athletic stadium in Bambolim, Goa on Tuesday.

Manvir Singh (3’, 46’) scored twice, early in each half as the Mariners powered past the Gaurs to record their eighth win of the season and inch closer to the semi-finals.

ATK Mohun Bagan got off to the perfect start as Manvir beat his marker at the near post to head home the opener for the Kolkata side from a Liston Colaco corner in the third minute.

However, FC Goa got into the game after the early blow and should have drawn level in the 15th minute when they won the ball high up the pitch, allowing Alberto Noguera to run clear on goal. But instead of shooting he decided to cut it back for Jorge Ortiz but an alert Tiri intercepted the pass to avert the danger.

FC Goa threatened again three minutes later when Brandon Fernandes did well to ease past his marker and send a cutback for Noguera near the six-yard area but the FC Goa forward was crucially tackled as he attempted to shoot. The loose ball however fell to Ortiz on the edge of the box and his curling effort went just wide.

ATK Mohun Bagan then went close in the 25th minute when Joni Kauko, having received the ball just inside the FC Goa half, ran at the heart of the Gaurs defence to shoot but his effort flew just wide of the target.

Anwar Ali was unlucky not to have drawn FC Goa level in the 34th minute when his left-footed long-range effort was tipped onto the bar by Amrinder Singh.

The play was halted just before half-time as there was a floodlight issue at the stadium. Play resumed after a bit of a stoppage but neither team could make any inroads in the remainder of the first half that ended with ATK Mohun Bagan leading 1-0.

The Mariners doubled their lead in the very first minute of the second half as Princeton Rebello’s pass was intercepted by Lenny Rodrigues who charged forward with the ball to release Manvir who rounded the goalkeeper to finish comfortably.

ATK Mohun Bagan once again were able to rob FC Goa of the ball in the 53rd minute but Kauko who was played in on goal could only hit the side-netting.

The Mariners were denied a penalty in the 61st minute when Manvir was fouled inside the box but the referee decided against pointing to the spot.

ATK Mohun Bagan then squandered a big chance to kill the game in the 76th minute when Colaco and Manvir were guilty of overplaying inside the box despite being in a 2 vs 1 position as FC Goa managed to get numbers back and avert the danger.

Colaco then almost scored an Olympic goal as his corner kick came off the underside of the crossbar and went onto to hit the inside of the post before Dheeraj Singh Moirangthem cleared the ball away.

FC Goa who were chasing the game couldn’t produce a sustained spell of pressure on the ATK Mohun Bagan goal in the final few minutes of the match as the Mariners held on for a big win.

The win lifts them to second on the table behind Hyderabad FC on goal difference. As for FC Goa, they remain in ninth place with their hopes of making the top four now all but gone.

The Mariners return to action on Saturday as they take on Kerala Blasters in a mouth-watering clash. FC Goa face Hyderabad FC on the very same day.